Expect a process that could look something like this:
- ACA calls for expanding Medicaid eligibility to 133% of poverty.
- More people eligible means more people forced onto Medicaid.
- More people on the program means fewer profitable patients for doctors which means less money for doctors.
- Less money for doctors means fewer doctors taking Medicaid.
- Fewer doctors taking Medicaid means an expensive supply of coverage and a shortage of care.
If a family of four or five making over $50,000 per year wants health care other than Medicaid, they need to steer clear of either a federal or a state exchange/marketplace.
This becomes even harder if Virginia expands Medicaid.
The same is true for any other state still deciding on Medicaid expansion.